Wednesday, 24 August 2016
Barring any last-minute change in plans, President Muhammadu Buhari will on Thursday host the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, a foremost monarch in Yorubaland, PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report.
According to Mr. Buhari’s schedule for Thursday, seen by this newspaper, the meeting will hold at the State House between 2pm and 2.30pm, lasting just 30 minutes.
According to Presidency sources, the meeting is coming at the instance of Oba Adeyemi whose previous efforts at meeting the president did not materialise.
It is unclear why the monarch is visiting the president. But some commentators suspect it might be connected to his ongoing case with the police.
The Ibadan Division of the Federal High Court had on December 15, 2014, issued an order of mandamus compelling the Inspector General of Police to investigate Oba Adeyemi for alleged murder, bomb planting, unlawful possession of arms and other offences.
But over a year after the order, the police failed to act, causing the petitioners to write Mr. Buhari in January this year.
The petitioners asked Mr. Buhari to compel the police to execute the Ibadan court order, an effort that has yielded no fruit.
In their petition to the President, the petitioners attached damning security documents .
But in a dramatic turn, the police command in Oyo arraigned the petitioners – Jacob Oluokun and Sulaiman Ishola – and a former lawmaker, Kamil Akinlabi, before a State High Court in Oyo for allegedly defaming the Alaafin.
In a counter action, the petitioners commenced contempt proceedings against the IGP for failing to execute the December 2015 order, according to their lawyer, Abiodun Raheem.
Mr. Akinlabi was in the House of Representatives between 2007 and 2015, and had the Alaafin as godfather before they became estranged.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested a brother to the Governor Ben Ayade of Cross Rivers State over alleged N2.4billion contract scam.
Sources at the EFCC told PREMIUM TIMES that Francis Ayade was arrested on Tuesday in connection with the scam.
Mr. Ayade, Managing Director of Leophina Nigeria Limited and Hally Brown International Limited, was fingered in shady deals involving alleged diversion of public funds into his companies’ accounts.
Specifically, four different allocations from the Federation Accounts were alleged to have been diverted into Hally Brown International Limited’s account owned by him.
Investigations by EFCC operatives showed that Hally Brown International Limited was awarded a road construction contract to the tune of N2.4billion in 2011.
To finance the contract, Mr. Ayade allegedly took a loan of N350,000,000 (Three Hundred and Fifty Million Naira only) from First Bank Plc, on behalf of Cross Rivers Rural Access and Mobility Project.
The loan, was however, unused for the contract, but transferred into the Mobility Project.
Mr. Ayade has also been implicated in alleged suspicious transactions involving Obudu Micro Finance Bank, among other allegations.
He has been offered administrative bail but still in the custody of the EFCC until he fulfills the bail conditions.
It is not clear whether Governor Ayade himself has been linked to the alleged scam. EFCC insiders said investigations were continuing.
Christian Ita, the spokesperson to Governor Ayade could not be reached to comment for this story. He did not answer or return calls made to him on Wednesday morning.
In furtherance to ongoing tactical and counter-terrorism operations to degrade the capabilities of criminal gangs/syndicates in their hide-outs across the Federation, the Department of State Services (DSS) wishes to apprise the general public of recent successes recorded.
2. Following threat messages against some members of the Diplomatic Corps in Abuja and Lagos, this Service responded and subsequently apprehended one Aikhoje MOSES, on 19th August 2016, at Azagha by-pass off the Benin–Asaba Expressway in Edo State. Before his arrest, MOSES had threatened the diplomatic community in Nigeria, particularly the Consular-Generals of Switzerland and Denmark and their Embassies in Nigeria, warning them to leave the Country.
3. The Service also arrested one Mudaisiru JIBRIN aka NAMAKELE/ALARAMA on 17th July, 2016, at Sauna quarters, Yankaba area in Kano. JIBRIN was the spiritual leader to a newly uncovered Boko Haram cell in Kano. Preliminary investigation so far conducted revealed that he was also the mastermind of the shooting of some students at Government Secondary School (GSS), Mamudo village near Potiskum, Yobe State, in 2013.
4. Similarly, on 8th July, 2016, at Kinkinau area in Unguwar Mu’azu of Kaduna metropolis, the Service arrested one Mukhtar TIJANI, a notorious Boko Haram fighter and three (3) of his accomplices namely, Isiaku SALIHU, Abdullahi ISAH and Hindu ISAH. The four suspects were apprehended while perfecting arrangements for major coordinated attacks on selected targets and locations in Kaduna State.
5. In a related development, on 12th August 2016, at Auchi in Edo State, three members of the ANSARU terrorist group hibernating in Kogi State were apprehended by the Service. Usman ABDULLAHI, Abdulmumuni SADIO and Ahmad SALIHU were arrested while making arrangements to launch attacks on some selected targets in Edo and Kogi States, before escaping to join ISIS in Libya.
6. Following recurring attacks by cattle rustlers in Zamfara State, this Service conducted series of operations in collaboration with the military to degrade the criminal network of one “BUHARI General’” in the State. Sequel to these operations, this Service arrested one Abdullahi HARUNA aka DOUGLAS, a bread seller on 13th August, 2016, at Hayin Buba area in Gusau LGA of Zamfara State. HARUNA was intercepted while using the cover of his petty business, to monitor security bases and movement of security agents in the State, in a bid to facilitate counter-attacks against security personnel deployed to the State.
7. Also, on 12th August, 2016, at Aliero town in Aliero LGA of Kebbi State, one Hussaini Alhaji SULE aka YELLOW, was apprehended by the Service. His arrest was facilitated by an earlier operation of 29th July, 2016, when one Hafizu SANI, a spy and criminal associate of “Buhari GENERAL”, was apprehended by this Service. Prior to his arrest, SANI was also spying on the movements of security agents in Zamfara State. SANI in concert with other elements, have been terrorizing local communities in Kaduna, Katsina and Zamfara States respectively, engaging in cattle rustling and kidnap activities.
8. Meanwhile, following the spate of gruesome killing and kidnap incidents in Benue State, on 8th August, 2016, the Service arrested one Terfa JIRGBA and two (2) of his accomplices, namely Terzungee KWAGHAONDO and Mathias AENDE, at Badagry Street off Esther Aka road in Makurdi, Benue State. JIRGBA is an active ally and gang member of Terwase AGWAZA aka GHANA, a notorious kidnapper who runs a kidnapping and criminal network in Benue State.
9. In a follow-up operation, one TERUNGWA ABUR aka was trailed to Port-Harcourt City in Rivers State. He was eventually picked up on 16th August, 2016. ABUR is the second in Command to AGWAZA and a key member of the kidnapping gang of Terwase AGWAZA aka GHANA which operates from Benue State. He acts as a courier for the underworld gang and was the negotiator of the Four Million Naira (N4,000,000.00) ransom paid to the gang for the release of two Indian national staff of Dangote Cement Company, Yander-Gboko, who were kidnapped on 29th July, 2016, in Markudi city. He also participated in the killing of one ORTIN in Gboko township on 1st August, 2016.
10. The arrests of major criminal masterminds in Benue and other adjourning States will continue until these criminal gangs are routed and made to face justice.
11. To address the activities of various criminal syndicates that have in recent months terrorized residents of Calabar and parts of Akwa Ibom State, on 15th August, 2016, along Ukpong Street in Oron LGA, one Benjamin EMOMOTEMI and his accomplices namely Gabriel AMBROSE, Godbless Taliboth MATTIAS, Blessing SUNDAY, Simeon Blessing Sunday, Edet Effiong ASANAGASI and Rose WILLIAMS, were all apprehended by the Service tactical team. The suspects were part of a kidnap ring which masterminded the abduction of one Mr. Rufus AKV on 31st May, 2016 and Senator Patrick ANI on 6th July, 2016 in Cross River State.
12. This Service wishes to urge the general public to remain vigilante and alert to developments in their immediate environs, and to support security and law enforcement agencies, with critical information on suspicious persons and groups, for the sustenance of relative peace across the Federation.
Tuesday, 23 August 2016
Members of the Transparency Group in the House of Representatives said on Monday that despite the fact that all 10 principal officers had disowned the former Chairman, Committee on Appropriation, Mr. Abdulmumin Jibrin, those accused by Jibrin were as guilty as their accuser.
The ex-appropriation chairman had alleged that the Speaker, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, and three other principal officers ‘padded’ the 2016 budget.
The other three are the Deputy Speaker, Mr. Yussuff Lasun; the Chief Whip, Mr. Alhassan Ado-Doguwa; and the Minority Leader, Mr. Leo Ogor.
All 10 principal officers had in a joint statement on Thursday last week, admitted that the sacking of Jibrin was a “collective decision” of the leadership to punish him for “abusing” the budget.
But, on Monday, the TG said that much as Dogara reserved the prerogative to appoint and fire a committee chairman, the sacking of Jibrin did not address the allegations he raised.
Rather, the TG observed that Dogara, Lasun, Ado-Doguwa and Ogor were “as guilty as Jibrin.”
The group said despite the position taken by the 10 principal officers, the police, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related Offences Commission should proceed with the investigation into the allegations.
A key member of the TG, Mr. Bashir Baballe, recalled that it was Lasun that chaired the committee set up by the National Assembly to review the first budget, which President Muhammadu Buhari refused to sign.
Baballe noted that the President had rejected Jibrin’s version of the budget for lacking details and was returned to the National Assembly.
He added, “Mr. President returned the first budget, which both Senator Danjuma Goje and Jibrin worked on as the joint chairmen of the Senate and House Committees on Appropriation.”
Combat-ready policemen on Tuesday in Kano sealed off the residence of former Kano State Governor, Sen. Rabiu Kwankwaso.
The residence, located at Lugard Road, is a few minutes-drive away from the Kano Government House.
Also, Kwankwaso’s Lodge Road residence, which serves as the headquarters of Kwankwasiyya Movement, was sealed up over alleged plan by the former Governor to conduct mass wedding.
The Kano State Police Command confirmed the development.
“We have directed our men to seal the residence, following an intelligent report that there is plan to conduct mass wedding at the house,” the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Magaji Majia, said.
“Police did not issue permit for any mass wedding at the residence.”
However, a Kwankwasiyya Movement insider told our Correspondent that “the mass wedding was conducted on Monday secretly, with only the bride and groom and next of kin in attendance, including some selected Islamic scholars”.
Monday, 22 August 2016
In all honesty, a lot of things happened during Jonathan administration, unfortunately he was not aware and he solely put his trust and relied on the appointed personalities.
This is quite unfortunate! The former president, Jonathan did not bother to supervise or monitor the activities of the people in his cabinet that is why they rubbished his administration with corrupt practices. He was ignorant of the monumental treasury heist that took place under him.